Thursday, September 9, 2010

Brain implosion - back in 5 minutes!

After noticing the trend of people's eyes glazing over after a particularly long rant of mine, I decided I should act like the rest of the world and move my rambling to a blog. That's the sane thing to do, yeah? A positive - if not necessarily productive - emotional release of sorts. It's my space, so I can say whatever the hell I want and loved ones can tune in and out at random. Win-win, right?

I'm (hopefully) in the process of finishing my very LAST semester of college. 3 months and I will officially (again, hopefully) be a degree-carrying productive member of society. Or that's the theory. Those three months are looming ahead with the promise of many research papers, a ridiculous amount of reading, a thesis, and the big bad Literature Comprehensive Exam. Dun, dun, dun!

Said exam - the exam that determines whether I graduate or stay stuck in pre-grad limbo until I pass it - is taking place this coming Saturday. Supposedly, I'm expected to exhibit a comprehension in my major of choice, proving that I have not been doodling/sleeping/etc. for the past however many years. Sounds ok in theory. I'm a good student, I pay attention, I feel as though I have a general grasp of my studies. In practice, however, I am a huge ball of pulsing stress, anxiety, and fear. To prepare for this monster of an exam (hello! 9 AM - 5 PM!), I'm supposed to know literary history, a ridiculous amount of vocab, how to scan a poem technically, how to scan a poem for content, and be very familiar with enough "major works" that I can pull them out of my derriere and write an essay on the spot, following some unknown prompt. Bah.

My flashcards are numerous enough to keep me suffering from paper cuts for years and very suddenly, all the reading I've been doing the past two years has flown right out of my head. So, put simply, I'm feeling stressed and whiny. Saturday is approaching and I feel like a bumbling idiot.

However, I've decided that whatever happens, happens. Pseudo-philosophical, lame personal mantra of the day. If I fail the test, it will suck, oh yes. But the Chair of the Lit. department isn't going to hunt me down and beat me with a hardcover copy of War and Peace. The Dean of UNCA isn't going to put a bloody horse head in my bed in the middle of the night. Basically, I'll get over it. It's not the end of the world. If at first you don't succeed....you know the rest. Things happen in life that we have no control over. All you can do is keep going and hope that you'll be able to make yourself proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment