Saturday, September 11, 2010

Refund check dilemma

It's that time again.  The other day I went to pick up my refund check from school - the money left over (from loans, grants, etc.) after tuition and other sundries have been taken care of.  This year, I got a pretty decent chunk o' change:  $2200.  Now it's time for me to do some math, which is frightening since this book nerd abhors numbers.

A portion of that refund goes toward reimbursing myself for the books and supplies I had to purchase for the semester.  Let's say around $300.  The rest is kind of hanging there with a giant question mark.  The logical, responsible part of my brain is saying "Psst, Jessica.  Be a good girl and put that money back toward your loan."  Not a bad idea, considering school put me around $25k in debt. 

On the other hand, in the long run, the $1900 or so won't make the hugest dent in the debt.  BUT, in the here and now, could seriously give me a boost.  I could use the majority to pay down some credit cards, hold some back to keep me afloat while my work hours are down, etc.  The rest could be used to contribute to my stash for a new laptop.  Sorta-kinda-ok-maybe-not a school related expense.  My faithful lappie is on it's last legs.  Wouldn't want it to crash out while I'm writing my thesis, right? 

So, refund check, meet moral conundrum.  I can proceed, with permission from parental units - who are paying my college loans - with the second plan and alleviate some of the financial stress I have during the school year.  But that creates the feeling that I'm somehow being tested.  And if I make the wrong choice, I will incur the Disappointed Parent face.

But, oh, how shiny and pretty that new laptop would be....

2 comments:

  1. Moral barometer at critical mass? Be here now; it's good enough that you have conscience conundrums regarding perceived, progenitory ponderences over perpetuities of pending payments. It is, remember, the thought that counts......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy alliteration, Batman! If you're going to use big words, at least sign your name ;)

    ReplyDelete